How to Effectively Brush and Floss
At Family Dentistry of Frisco, we encourage our patients to maintain a daily oral hygiene routine. Brushing and flossing your teeth is a vital part of taking care of yourself, and really should be a priority. It not only supports your oral health, but your overall health as well. (Read more about Gum Disease and Your Health.)
No matter how busy you are, you can always spare five minutes for oral healthcare. After all, this is one of the simplest ways to ensure wellbeing, and combat disease, decay, and infections. Periodontal infections are especially bad for your gums and teeth—and can contribute to complications and increased risks of other illnesses, including heart disease, strokes, and diabetes. Our dedicated and compassionate team at Family Dentistry of Frisco wants you to know that gum disease is a serious threat!
Brushing your teeth is more than just throwing toothpaste on those nylon bristles and scrubbing your enamel for a few seconds. Brushing your teeth really should include cleaning your gums, too. If you’re looking for recommendations on what type of toothbrush is the best for your oral health, we invite you to Ask the Doctor at our Family Dentistry of Frisco dental practice.
For proper brushing, we recommend that you angle your toothbrush at your gumline and use a short, circular motion. Start at the back molars, and continue brushing until you’ve completed the circuit of your mouth. You should brush your teeth for at least two minutes. You should brush your teeth twice a day, which helps break up bacteria and food particles.
For one of the most effective over-the-counter tools for cleaning your teeth and gums, we recommend you consider the benefits of owning a Sonicare toothbrush. Manually brushing your teeth only produces around 300 strokes a minute. Sonicare gives you anywhere from 30,000 to 40,000 strokes per minute. And Sonicare toothbrushes have been clinically proven to remove stains, reverse gum disease, stimulate saliva production, and shrinks periodontal pockets.
Floss is a very important element in your oral hygiene care. The type of floss you use depends on what you like—some floss is flavored and others are coated in wax. What you use, however, isn’t as vital as the way you use it. Flossing always you to remove bacteria and food that gets wedged between teeth and if left alone, they can cause gum disease and tooth decay.
Take at least 18 inches of floss and wrap a section around your thumb and forefingers. You need about inch or so of floss to guide gently between your teeth. Make a “C” and move the floss up and down. Use a new part of the floss every time you to the next tooth. At Family Dentistry of Frisco, we recommend you floss at least once each day.
For patients in Frisco, Plano, McKinney, Allen, Little Elm, Prosper, and surrounding cities, Family Dentistry of Frisco offers regular checkups and a wide array of dental services. Get your smile evaluation today, and request your appointment!
Click Here: Reviews
Take a look at what other patients have said and post your own feedback about our office.
- Laser technology (replacing shots)
- Sedation (Gas-Nitrous Oxide, Oral, and IV)
- Root Canal
- Implants (including a 3D Digital X-Ray Imaging)
- Orthodontics (Braces and Invisalign)
- Sleep Apnea
- Our beautiful, newly built office offers elegance, luxury, beauty, and comfort in every room.
- One American, a day, dies from oral cancer. We firmly believe in cancer screening. Our team performs comprehensive oral cancer screenings for all patients!
- Dr. Patel is a master and fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists.
- We devote unparalleled compassion, nurture, and comfortable care starting from the front concierge to our dental assistant to our doctor.
- Our doctor, Dr. Paresh B. Patel, is an internationally and nationally trained general dentist, and he has more than thirteen years of experience in family dentistry!
- Our practice has a 3D Digital X-Ray Imaging (i.e., CT scan) to allow our team to visualize the anatomy of your teeth and bones accurately.
- We believe the heart of education is education of the heart. We lead and organize health fairs and have personally traveled and help at many earthquake-hit areas.
- Family Dentistry of Frisco recommends The Tooth Book by Dr. Seuss as a gift to your child!
- Our doctor received the Dental Practitioner's Award for his outstanding patient care and compassion.
- Our primary focus is patient care. We use the latest laser technology to replace shots! This will drastically increase your recovery time and undoubtedly help with pain!
- We use Digital X-Rays that reduces radiation given to you.
- Our patients are our primary concern. We eliminate shots by using laser technology and offer many types of sedation (gas-nitrous oxide, oral, and IV) of your choosing.
- We are open at very convenient times from Monday through Friday 7AM-6PM and Saturday 9AM-2PM. Come book your appointment with us when it is convenient for you!
- Our doctor's life passion is dentistry…and oh yeah, he was born and raised in England. Come listen to him speak with his British accent!