Learn About Tooth Numbering Convention
As regular patient undergoing a regular check-up or procedure, you may feel a little in over your head when Dr. Patel starts using dental terminology as he speaks to his assistant. While it’s understandable that you won’t be able to follow every detail of your treatment – you probably don’t have any training in the field, after all – maybe you’ve thought at some point that it could be nice to understand more about your treatment and how to utilize phrases and terms that may be of help to our dental team. After all, no one knows how your teeth are feeling better than you do! Thankfully, Dr. Patel of Family Dentistry of Frisco believes strongly in the power of patient education; that’s why we’d like to introduce you to the process of tooth numbering.
Each of Your Teeth Are Unique
Think back to your last dental check-up. Do you ever remember your local Frisco dentist or a member of his team ever using a number to refer to one of your pearly whites? Maybe he said “make a note about number 5” or something similar, and the assistant did so as the examination continued. When this happens, our dental team is relying on the information provided by a Tooth Numbering system, which was first created in order to give dentists of all focuses a consistent and organized way of addressing specific teeth. Today, over thirty different systems have been developed throughout the world; however, only two of those are commonly used in the United States, and the one we’ll be discussing is called The Universal Numbering System.
This system has a simple, unified purpose: it assigns a specific number to each of a person’s thirty-two teeth they should have as an adult. If you’ve had your wisdom teeth surgically removed or have lost a natural tooth through injury, these spots still exist and are counted.
The numbers start in your mouth’s upper right corner, starting with the wisdom tooth there. You then count across your upper row of teeth until reaching the wisdom on the opposing left side (#16). You then move down to the lower left side of your mouth and continue counting in the opposite direction, finally ending at #32, your lower right wisdom tooth (or the space for it, if it’s been removed).
Better Appreciate Dental Care With Us!
While all of this information may be difficult to remember on the first read, studying this chart and gaining a better understanding of tooth numbering could prove beneficial to your dental care experience. If you’ve suffered an emergency and called our office to schedule immediate treatment, you’ll be able to clearly and quickly communicate the location of the injury or the specific teeth that were involved. You can also better understand where Dr. Patel will perform procedures and even why those areas may be suffering damage!
Contact Dr. Patel of Family Dentistry of Frisco today to schedule an appointment! Our team can’t wait to welcome you and your family to participate in our warm, comprehensive dental care that’s sure to leave teeth happier and healthier than ever before. In addition to Frisco, we also serve the areas of Plano, McKinney, Allen, Little Elm, Prosper, and beyond.
Click Here: Reviews
Take a look at what other patients have said and post your own feedback about our office.
- Laser technology (replacing shots)
- Sedation (Gas-Nitrous Oxide, Oral, and IV)
- Root Canal
- Implants (including a 3D Digital X-Ray Imaging)
- Orthodontics (Braces and Invisalign)
- Sleep Apnea
- Our beautiful, newly built office offers elegance, luxury, beauty, and comfort in every room.
- One American, a day, dies from oral cancer. We firmly believe in cancer screening. Our team performs comprehensive oral cancer screenings for all patients!
- Dr. Patel is a master and fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists.
- We devote unparalleled compassion, nurture, and comfortable care starting from the front concierge to our dental assistant to our doctor.
- Our doctor, Dr. Paresh B. Patel, is an internationally and nationally trained general dentist, and he has more than thirteen years of experience in family dentistry!
- Our practice has a 3D Digital X-Ray Imaging (i.e., CT scan) to allow our team to visualize the anatomy of your teeth and bones accurately.
- We believe the heart of education is education of the heart. We lead and organize health fairs and have personally traveled and help at many earthquake-hit areas.
- Family Dentistry of Frisco recommends The Tooth Book by Dr. Seuss as a gift to your child!
- Our doctor received the Dental Practitioner's Award for his outstanding patient care and compassion.
- Our primary focus is patient care. We use the latest laser technology to replace shots! This will drastically increase your recovery time and undoubtedly help with pain!
- We use Digital X-Rays that reduces radiation given to you.
- Our patients are our primary concern. We eliminate shots by using laser technology and offer many types of sedation (gas-nitrous oxide, oral, and IV) of your choosing.
- We are open at very convenient times from Monday through Friday 7AM-6PM and Saturday 9AM-2PM. Come book your appointment with us when it is convenient for you!
- Our doctor's life passion is dentistry…and oh yeah, he was born and raised in England. Come listen to him speak with his British accent!