Scaling and root planing is a deep cleaning we provide for patients with gum disease. Our dentist, Dr. Paresh Patel, will provide instructions for you to follow after your scaling and root planing in Frisco, Texas, to ensure optimal healing and results. If you have any questions, please call (469) 362-3150 to speak with a team member at Family Dentistry of Frisco.
- You will be numb for the next 6 to 8 hours. Do not drink hot liquids or eat food while you are numb. When you are numb, you do not have pressure and temperature sensation, so we want to make sure you do not burn your mouth or bite your tongue or cheek. You can drink room temperature or cold liquids.
- You will be given Peridex, a medicated mouth rinse. Please use this rinse for the next 10 days. Make sure that it is the last thing that you do at night. Be advised that this can cause staining in the teeth if used too much; do not drink red wine, coffee, or tea an hour BEFORE or AFTER using the rinse. Make sure at night you are flossing, brushing (in that order) and then using HALF a cap of the Peridex. This will help keep the gums clean to heal faster and help kill bacteria.
- Please take ibuprofen for the next two days. The gums can be sore due to the procedure.
- Please make sure that you are brushing and flossing effectively. We do not want a retraction of treatment and need to do another SRP (deep cleaning) again in the future.
- We will see you back at your periodontal maintenance in approximately six weeks.
Please call if you have any questions.